Wednesday, January 16, 2008

US Voting When Out of the Country . . . .

This morning I woke up thinking about how US citizen's votes are tabulated when they are cast overseas. I know, what an exciting thought to awaken to, eh? This train of thought was probably triggered by me watching the dems debate from Las Vegas last night. The only way we were able to view that was by connecting my laptop to our digital TV and stream the video from msnbc.com. This is because we have basic-Basic Cable. (A whole 'nuther story there, but not at this time . . . . ) But I digress.

My "queerie" was: "How are the votes tabulated, electoral-college-wise, for those votes cast by people such as ourselves when we vacate the USA for a better 'hood?" Performing a Google search this morning I came across a great site with answers to questions such as this, and just about anything one could need in relation to the topic. Overseas Vote Foundation is a clearing house for all your out of the country voting needs.

Oh, and the answer to my "queerie" above is that your votes are tabulated based upon your last actual residence in the US.

Looks like we'll be stuck in redneck-land for quite some time, voting-wise, anyway . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having this question posed to me this morning, I was very happy when google pointed me to this post and the link to where I could find the answers I needed. Thank you!