Friday, January 04, 2013

Canadian Health Care - (Re)Revisited . . . .

'Twas time for my annual physical exam with our family doctor.

Left home at 8:45, caught the bus to the subway and then walked the three blocks to the doctor's office.

The receptionist checked me in and directed me Exam Room #2 immediately.  Our doc arrived about a minute later and went over my recent blood test results, general medical questions, reviewed my activities, gave recommendations, etc.  I had a list of "queeries" with me which we went over and he answered all of them.  After a check of all the basic bodily functions, the mandatory prostate exam, my next lab test requisition  and prescription refill in hand, I was out the door.

'Nuther walk, subway ride and bus ride home and it was 10:02.  Yup, a total of 77 minutes!  I still had 23 minutes left on my transit ticket, fer krissakes!

Total out of pocket cost to me:  The $2.10* transit fare, as I had purchased a book of Fare Saver tickets previously.

So, the next time someone negatively compares our health care system to that of our neighbours down south, think about it.  When a politician down there postulates:  "You don't want the system they have in Canada for your health care!"  I would vigorously argue:  "Yes, you do!"





*To be fair, "drf" and I as a family of two pay $120.50/month for our total family BC Care Card health care premium.  Readers in the US, you read that right:  That's $60.25 each, per month.  No deductibles, no co-pays.

1 comment:

RossK said...

Ahhhhh....Co-pays...I remember those from when I was a Canuckisanian living in the Excited States. And just so my fellow countrymen and women know, co-pays are all the additional add-ons you have to pay every single time you visit even the GP and/or go for any kind of test. And in my case, they came AFTER I'd already paid the work-subsidized monthly insurance fee of 500 mid-'90's dollars to cover me, my wife and our then infant daughter.