Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Write to Marry Day . . . .



Methinks the queer-police are going to revoke my membership in the community as our straight friend Alison had to advise me of this campaign. Once she clued me in, I shamelessly plagiarized the following post from Gay Persons of Color with a slight revision to accommodate my Florida roots:



Today, 29 October 2008, bloggers around the world are participating in the "Write to Marry Day" in support of marriage equality for same-sex couples and against California's Proposition 8, a measure on the state's November ballot that would take away the right of same-sex couples to marry. Also - on a personal note - my US residence state of Florida has an anti-gay Amendment 2 on the ballot.

The right for equality in marriage is not an issue of a minority group, i.e the LGBT community, pushing its agenda for self-serving purposes. This is a universal principle that seeks to assure that all citizens of a nation are treated in the same way, regardless of race, sex, creed, and whom they love. Without this equality, no one's rights can ever be secure.

I've already cast my Florida ballot - Please do the same in your designated polling place . . . .


No comments: